Student Professional Worker
The Department on Disability (DOD) is looking for dedicated Student Professional Workers (SPW) to intern with the Department. Please review the position descriptions and be prepared to indicate which position you would like to be considered for if selected for an interview.
- Link to job page on LA City Personnel's Website: bit.ly/3WgGLCA
- Link to blank City application form: per.lacity.org/doc.cfm?get=CityApp
- Candidates must be either full-time college students or full-time graduate or professional school students.
- Strong preference for an individual with an interest or previous experience in government administration and management.
Applications are subject to review. The most qualified candidates will be scheduled for interviews.
How to Apply
Interested parties should submit a completed City application form, verification of their college or graduate school status, and resume to Mai Tran, Personnel Liaison Services, by email to Mai.H.Tran@lacity.org. Open until a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Students may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during school breaks; subject to supervisor’s discretion.
- Local, State, and Federal Disability Policy and Legislation
- Duties and Responsibilities: The duties include, but are not limited to, assisting in research, development, and drafting of reports, resolutions, and letters of support/opposition to current and proposed legislation, policy, or positions at the local, State and Federal level.
- This work will be directed by DOD staff for the Department and/or for the Commission on Disability (COD). The SPW will report to the Commission on Disability Liaison and will assist the COD support team (as well as other DOD staff as needed).
- Disability Policy, Social Media Marketing, and Public Relations
- Duties and Responsibilities: The duties for this position include, but are not limited to, assisting with event planning, updating media contact lists, creating and scheduling digitally accessible social media posts, and drafting Department-wide monthly newsletters.
- This work will be directed by DOD staff for the Department. The SPW will report to the Public Information Officer and will assist other DOD staff as needed.
- Public Administration, Budget Development, Purchasing, and Fund Management
- Duties and Responsibilities: The duties for this position include, but are not limited to, assisting in Department-wide budget development, budget control, and special fund management. The SPW will also assist with key accounting functions for the Department, including payables and receivables, as well as record keeping and reporting. Additionally, employees will gain experience in general office organization, customer service, supply management, and other duties as needed.
- This work will be directed by Administrative Services staff for the Department and/or for the Commission on Disability (COD). The SPW will report to the Administrative Director or designee and will assist the Administrative Services Division.
As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities.
Applications for Civil Service examinations are only accepted on-line at governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity. Applications filed through other on-line applications, such as LinkedIn and Handshake, will not be accepted. For all other job types (Exempt, Emergency Appointment, Executive, and Internships), follow the instructions on the job announcement on how to apply.
For candidates seeking initial City employment, in accordance with Los Angeles City Ordinance 187134, information regarding COVID-19 vaccination requirements as conditions of employment may be found at: https://bit.ly/3JHElI1.