Accessible Communications Division (ACD)
The Accessible Communications Division is responsible for the dissemination of consistent and accessible messages across print, broadcast, and social media for the Department. Additionally, this division provides training and technical assistance on digital accessibility and assistive technologies to City officials and departments as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Accessibility and Navigability
The ADA and §508 of the Rehabilitation Act require that all digital content intended for the public — including websites, documents, and multimedia content posted to them — be accessible to all constituents. This includes the navigability and content usability of websites and information sent digitally, such as newsletters and emergency communications. Documents should be compatible with assistive technology applications designed to provide the user or consumer access to the information, such as:
- Job Access with Speech (JAWS) provides speech and Braille output for the most popular computer applications on your PC. You will be able to navigate the Internet, write a document, read an email and create presentations from your office, remote desktop, or from home.
- NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA)
- ZoomText Magnifier/Reader a fully integrated magnification and reading program tailored for low-vision users. Magnifier/Reader enlarges and enhances everything on your computer screen, echoes your typing and essential program activity, and automatically reads documents, web pages, email.
- VoiceOver is a screen reader built-in to Apple products, including Mac computers, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle and the Apple Watch.
- TalkBack is a Google screen reader included on Android devices.
Types of Services
- Accessible Documents Training and Technical Assistance (§508 Rehabilitation Act)
- Document Remediation and Website Review and User Testing
- Internal and External Communications
- Technology Access Team (Technical assistance and emerging technologies)
- Sign Language Interpreters, Video Remote Interpreting, and Closed Captioning Services